Friday, August 13, 2010

Old Town Hannover

Today I went all over Hannover. I rode around for about 3 hours straight on my bike, but I got to see some really cool things!


First I went to lunch with two guys in my program. We just went to the nearest döner place and had an inexpensive but delicious döner. If you ever ate at K Bob's in Athens a doner is similar to that. If not, it is normally either with steak, lamb or chicken in a large pita stuffed with cucumbers, herbs, cabbage, lettuce, tomato, onions and some yummy sauce. It is really really yummy and it is one of the most inexpensive things to eat here. It was only 4.5 euro for a doner, drink and french fries!


Ok enough about the food, the guys in my program seem very nice. Once is from Michigan and knew exactly where I was born and lived around that area. He left his wife at home in order to come get his MBA in Germany. He is a huge Big 10 fan, but I am hoping he will still watch some SEC games with me!
The other guy is from Indiana (the second guy I have met here from Indiana). He is also very nice. Him and his wife live right next door to me. I haven't met his wife but I am looking forward to that because I haven't met one american girl in my program yet! They said there are 16 Americans this year! More than there have ever been! So that is exciting for me.


After lunch I decided that there were still places I wanted to see before starting school next week that I needed to do today or tomorrow while I still have the time. I rode farther than I have since I have been here. I saw the zoo. I didn't go in because it was 23 euro per adult so I thought I would save that for when I wasn't going alone! But I did get to see these guinea pigs!! Kinda gross!






I saw the Hauptbahnhof which is every cities main train station. It was huge and had a mall connected to it. All the main train stations I have seen so far have been really pretty. It isn't trashy and dirty like you would think. There are nice restaurants and shops everywhere. This is where I will have to go in order to get out of Hannover for any trips.



I kept riding around old town and found the Marktkirche (Market Church) which was built in the 14th century and is an example of North German Brick Gothic style.




I wanted to get to the water where all the water spots take place so I kept riding. On my way I found the Neues Rathaus (New Town Hall) which was opened in 1913 after 12 years of construction. It was so beautiful. I have pictures from the front and the back.



Perfect place for a picnic! 









I finally reached the large artificial lake in Hannover, Maschsee. This is where the festival will take place this weekend. There were bars all along the river with food and drinks and stages where the bands will be playing starting tomorrow. It looks like it is going to be a lot of fun. The students that are in town already are all going to meet there tomorrow to hang out and get to know each other. I am looking forward to that. Wish yall were here to enjoy this with me, but I will let you know how it was on Sunday!
                           Bars and restaurants along the river getting ready for the Maschseefest










I tried to go to the bank on my way home, but I should have known it would be closed. I never really wanted to go into banking, but maybe I should reconsider. Their hours must be so nice. Here all banks close from 12-2 everyday and they are only open until 2 on Fridays and most are closed all weekend. Wouldn't that be nice! :)


Well that is it for my exploration for the day! I just got back to my apartment and I am about to lay down and watch some TV! I finally got to watch the whole episode of the bachelor pad and I have been watching entourage but that has been it. I found a new web page that has lots of shows that I can actually get from europe- http://www.free-tv-video-online.info/internet/
It has been my saving grace this week! :)


Just looked outside and it is raining. It rains everyday here. At some point during the day it will rain. Most of the time it is just for 10 minutes and is just a light sprinkle.


Hope everyone is having a great Friday!


Here are more picture i took while riding around today: 

1 comment:

  1. Glad all of those spinning classes paid off !! hahaha Can't wait to see you! Miss you~susan

    ReplyDelete