Thursday, August 26, 2010

Just checking in! :)

Well I have survived by first week of class! It wasn't easy, but I survived! I am exhausted already! This is going to be a very challenging but rewarding year. I am taking Accounting, Quant (basically Stat), Organizational Behavior and Project Management right now. We were assigned into teams of 5 or 6 for the first module. I really like my team. There obviously are ups and downs when you are on a team, but the overall feeling is good. We work really hard and get things done early which is my style! We were the only group that met all week long for long amounts of time and the other groups thought we were crazy but we have already finished all the assignments due next week, the case study and accounting project that isn't due for another week. So while everyone else is meeting this weekend, I will have some time to study on my own and get my reading done for the first couple days next week. It is a good feeling! We agreed before time to try our hardest to not have to meet on the weekends so in order to do that we have to work really hard during the week.
My schedule this week was basically wake up at 7 go to class until 12:30, eat lunch while reading material for my group, meet with my group and stay at school working on projects and homework until about 7 pm and then come home eat dinner while reading the material for the next days class- finish up around 11 or so and do it all over again. If feels like I have two jobs and I can't ever stop thinking about them. I can't just go home and have a glass of wine and relax there is always ten things going through my head that I need to be doing.
It has been so different than college. I am actually really interested in what we are doing- even the accounting (which I NEVER thought I would say!). So far I am really happy that I decided to go back to school. I have already learned so much and I have a lot more to go! :)

The weather here is horrible! It is going to rain for about 10 days straight. It hasn't stopped raining today for one second. It is dark and gloomy out! And riding to class in the rain isn't the most fun thing in the world! We have a team building activity tomorrow from 9 - 4 outside, rain or shine! And lucky us it is going to rain ALL DAY!

Todd and I are going to bruges, belgium next weekend! I only have Friday class until 12 and I have Saturday and Sunday off and Todd has the weekend off also for labor day! So we are taking off! :) I can't wait . It looks so beautiful there! I heard the chocolate is to die for, so I will be in heaven! :) It is a lot like Venice with the city in water. This is what sold me: "Its canals, cobbles, ornate gables and belfries come together in picture-perfect proportions. Strolling in the fairy-tale streets and lanes of Bruges, crossing canal bridges or walking beside the dark shimmering water, especially in the evening when spotlights pick out landmark spires, is like wandering inside a work of art. "

imgres.jpg

imgres.jpg


My German hasn't improved any. I got Rosetta stone but I don't have time to spend using it right now. It takes forever to get through each lesson. And I don't have much time to interact with the Germans here since I am inside all day working. The students are planning to go do something fun out in the city tomorrow after our team building which will be fun! I am so happy with the people in my program. We all get along and learn so much for each other. I have never had the opportunity to interact with so many people from different areas of the world. It is really cool to learn about the culture from all these places.

Random- so i knew that germans were really into recycling, but I guess I didn't realize how much! In order to take my trash out I have to walk outside and put them in the bins. There are four bins each with different things that go in them. Well I have taken my trash out 3 times since I have been here and every single time there is someone who stands there and watches me. They will be walking by, see me with my ONE white trash bag and just watch me to make sure I don't put it all in the trash bin. So I stand there and open my bag and pick through my trash and put the glass where it goes and the paper where it goes... Don't get me wrong, i love that they are this into the recycling I think the states could improve on this- but to stand there and watch me until I have put the last thing into the right colored bin is just a little strange to me. I know by now that I have to do this, I don't need someone watching my EVERY move! It makes me nervous- what I put paper in the blue bin instead of the yellow are they going to come down and yell at me?! From now I am going to walk down there holding my individual boxes and paper separate and hopefully that will help!

Well I hope everyone has had a great week and I am sure you are as ready for the weekend as I am! :) I just hope your weekend isn't as rainy!

1 comment: