Sunday, August 8, 2010

MUNICH







I finally have Internet and can catch y'all up on what has been going on!

- Flight here was alright, I couldn't sleep at all so it made for a very long 10 hours. Once I arrived it was nice to be picked up by Todd! He rented a car and was able to drive to Munich to pick me up at 8 AM once I arrived. We stayed in Munich for one night (Munich is about an hour and a half away from where Todd lives). It was a very nasty day- rainy and cold. It made me sad to leave the 90 degree weather back in Atlanta, but it was also fun to go exploring and see Munich. First we went to a few car dealerships because Todd hadn't been able to find a car he liked yet and since we were in a larger city we thought they may have more to choose from. We found a few cars, but nothing that we were crazy about. After that we went to the Hofbraehaus. I have lots of pictures if I can ever find out how to upload them on this thing! It was so fun. This really gave me a quick introduction into German life and culture! The place was about 5 floors or more of just tables and people everywhere. We walked every floor trying to find a table and finally on the top floor we found some room. It ended up being the best place to be because there was a show going on at the stage in the front of the room. We had a great time!

After the beer and the show I tried to find a bathroom. We finally found one. Most you have to pay for unless you are a customer so I wanted to go before we left and started walking again. I found two signs that said Damen and Herren. I want to thank everyone for telling me a few German words before I got here, but why wasn't this on the list! You know how often I use the bathroom! I stood in front of those signs and went back and forth trying to figure out what door I was suppose to go into. Granted I get confused at Outback and Tin Lizzy's when they try and be cute about the names rather than just saying Mens and Women's so this really confused me. I needed a picture and everything would be fine, but there was none. Just two words. So first I thought well Damen that sounds feminine it must be that- maybe like Damsel or something. But then I saw Herren and saw Her as the first couple letters and thought that must be the females room. FINALLY about ten minutes later a female walked up to the bathrooms, looked at me like I was crazy and walked into the one that said Damen, so now I know! :)

The next day the weather was so much better. We walked around Munich and really got to see what it was about. I have some pictures from that day. Todd seems to know so much German already so hopefully I can catch up! Driving here is pretty crazy- they are NOT good drivers and some of the laws are just so different. You can't turn right on red and that is a very hard habit to break. One thing I like is that the lights go from yellow to green to yellow to red to yellow back to green. So instead of looking at the red light and waiting for it to turn green, you get a yellow light first to tell you it is about to turn.

All the cars here are stick so we are really trying to get Todd an automatic. It is hard to drive in the city with a stick. We have seen a few automatics here and there so hopefully that is what we find!

We walked around a huge biergarten in Munich. It looked like a huge park. It was only 10 am and they already had beer in their hands! These people are crazy! Maybe because it is cheaper to buy beer here than it is water. Which is another thing that is going to be hard to get use to. I am going to have to buy some sort of water bottle to keep with me. Water bottles are just expensive!

That is it for the first weekend! :)


2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a nice adventure to start off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds awesome! Keep it coming! It will be fun to stay caught up on what you're up to!

    ReplyDelete