Monday, August 9, 2010

a few random stories i forgot



There were a couple more funny stories and things I forgot to tell and I have some pictures of my apartment now. It still is a little messy, but I wanted to post some so you can see my new home! 

- We finally found Todd a car. It is an awesome BMW (BMV here) He bought it used from someone who has just bought it from a very old man so he didn't drive it much and it was in great condition! We finally found something that was worth spending that much on! It is great on the autobahn! I believe we were going about 200 kilometers per hour on the way up here. That sounds scary, but it really isn't as long as everyone is going that fast. 

- Every time I go onto post to either watch Todd's softball games or workout in the gym or anything I have to sign in and sign out. It takes forever. I have to have my passport / license and fill out some paperwork. After a couple times, the guard recognized us and was trying to tell us about the visitor pass list that Todd could put me on that allows me to go in and out for a couple weeks without having to sign in every time. Well that sounded great, but at the time we were in a hurry and didn't have time for this guy to use his best english to explain this to us. And as I said earlier Germans pronounce their V's like W's and reverse. So this gentleman went on to explain how I needed to get a visitors pass- "ah she is a wisitor she must get a wisitor pass. You can get this wisitor pass at the front gate and then she will be an official wisitor. Wisitors are able to come and go on the post with this wisitor pass" He must have said WISITOR about 15 times. So Todd is trying not to look at me because he knows if he does we are both just going to crack up laughing. I have a smirk on my face and I am trying to think of anything besides this guy saying wisitor and how much fun it sounds to be an official wisitor! It sounds like I will have special powers or something!!  He FINALLY finishes and we tell him thank you walk about 5 steps and DIE LAUGHING! So.. moral of the story if anyone says Wisitor you know what they are wanting to say, just like when they say Wegetables! 

- The family Todd bought the car from was very very nice. They lived on a real farm. I mean it smelled like cow poop the whole time. But just the nicest family. He was so curious to ask us all these questions and know more about americans. He asked us how we like our steak, if we like McDonalds or Burger King better, if we had been to the coke museum and just a bunch more questions. He spoke very little english though so we were constantly guessing what he was trying to say. He would point to something and I would just start guessing- it was like a game to me! I had fun, but Todd was like stop guessing everything possible! He was trying to say fog once and I mean i went nuts- snow, ice, rain, hail, cloudy.... on and on and on! hahah! Finally after I had all my guesses Todd said Fog? and the guy just kept saying genau, over and over again. Genau, Genau, Genau, Genau (it sounds like Gaa Now). Well after we left I asked Todd what the heck Genau meant and it means Exactly. So whenever we would guess right he would say exactly about 7 times! Now that I know that word I hear people saying it all the time! So just another random word to add to my German Vocab! 

- While I was waiting for the train before my first trip to Regensburg, a man came up to me and started speaking German so fast (again he thought I was german). I waited for him to finish and said I don't understand. He then said Oh American! While he was going off in german I was thinking great what is this creepy guy saying to me. So after I tell him I am American, he says in broken english- "I am not sure if this is for fashion or for an idea, but you have something on your shoulder." So I look on my shoulder and I don't see anything. I look back at him confused. Then he points to my leg (i guess he got shoulder and leg mixed up). I look down and see that I forgot to take the tag off my new jeans. Here I was walking around with the long tag that tells the size on the back of my jeans! How embarrassing! I told the guy I appreciated him telling me and just started cracking up! I am a mess! :)

- The apartment I thought I was moving into wasn't ready when I got here so my address that I gave everyone is not correct. Email me if you want the right one. I don't really want to post it up on here. The street I am on is the main street. I am just a little outside the zentrum (the city center). My bike gets me there pretty fast though! :) 

- There is a festival here this Saturday so I will let yall know how that goes. I am hoping to meet other students then. 

Well that is the random stuff that I forgot to say in my other post. My post this week will probably be small because I don't have too much going on. Just trying to get my school work done and get use to this city I am in! I ran by the river yesterday it was really nice. It is fun to run in a new city even though I hate running because you don't know what is around the next corner so you want to keep running! I think I saw a few americans running too. It is fun to try and guess if they are american or not. I haven't been too good at it, but still fun to try! 

1 comment:

  1. Julie,
    I hope you had a great b-day. I love seeing all the pictures, and hearing your stories. I haven't met Todd, but he looks like a cuttie in these pics. How is school going? I'm about to start my second semester with student teaching. Wish I had an amazing apartment and place to study in Europe like you! Looks amazing! Keep in touch, praying for you!
    Love,
    katie

    ReplyDelete