Monday, August 16, 2010

Maschseefest 2010

Saturday was the Maschseefest and I met about 6 people from my building down in the lobby and we jumped on the train and headed towards the water where the festival was. The train system seem a little confusing, but I wasn't paying too much attention since I was with a group I was just following them! I have been riding my bike everywhere so this was my first time on the train. Everyone said it is easy, so I am sure once it gets cold and I am forced to figure it out, it wont be that hard! 

We arrived at the festival around 7:30 and there were already so many people. There was music playing and it looked like a carnival for adults. There was food everywhere! It smelled so good! Once we arrived, we went to the statue that the GISMA students were all meeting by. When we walked up there were about 20 students. We just walked around and introduced ourselves to everyone. They all seemed very nice and everyone has such a different story and background. It is going to be very cool to get to know everyone better and work together in teams where everyone has their own strengths.

Once we collected a good amount of GISMA students (about 30 or so) we walked into the fest and found some tables and all sat down and got to know more about everyone. There are several american girls which made my night! I thought I was going to be the only one! There is even a girl from the south! She is from Charleston (Em and Dean she doesn't know you, I asked! ha!). She is here with her Scottish boyfriend who is hilarious and definitely entertained us for the night! There are a few girls from Indiana and New York.  There are also girls from Spain, China, Japan and so many other places! Our class has students from 16 different countries! 

A lot of people have their significant other here at school, a lot more than I would have thought so I also got to meet boyfriends and girlfriends and wives and husbands. It was fun to learn a little about everyone! Some people have never been to europe before this and some people have been traveling around living in different places for years!

 I had the chance to speak to some students who just graduated in the class of 2010. They gave us lots of pointers and told us a little more of what to expect. They said you study / read / work in groups 7 days a week. There are no weekend breaks during the modules. Since we are doing what most people do in 2 years in 1 there is no time for breaks! They said there is no way you can do all the assigned readings so you have to pick and choose what is most important. Some of those things scared me a little, but that is also what I was expecting. They also said the accounting teacher we have is the same they had and that he is really great! He is hard and expects a lot, but he doesn't try to trick you which is a good thing! 

Overall, I had such a great time at the fest. I really liked meeting more people in my class. It will make the first week easier because there will already be some familiar faces.
The girls that I met that are in the dorms were all complaining. They said it is horrible! It is small, everything is made of metal including the bed and nothing works.  So, I am glad I didn't do the dorm thing even thought it is A LOT cheaper. I just can't imagine living there for a year! I am so happy with my apartment. I have so much room and it already feels like it is my home.

I can't believe school is about to begin. I am excited, but also nervous because this is going to be a very long, stressful year, but hopefully in the end it will be worth it. I wish there was going to be more time to travel, but it just doesn't seem like it! I do get two weeks for spring break so hopefully that will be a good time to go see some places.



Todd has been in the field for the last week, but I still get to talk to him which is great! This is a breeze compared to Ranger School! :) I usually get to talk to him once a day for a few minutes before he go to sleep. He has been very busy lately which is good! He may have to be in the field until the end of August so I am not sure when I will get to see him next. With me starting school and him living in the field it is going to be hard to find time in both of our schedules! And the "break" that I thought I had in October isn't really a break. We have a week off but have to stay in Hannover and learn basic German. I was planning on going to see him that week, but I need to learn German also so I will have to stay here. But hopefully I will get to see him before December! His parents are coming in September so hopefully I will get to see them also!

Well it is Monday already and everything starts tomorrow!!! This is my last day of freedom for the next year! I am sure it is going to fly by, but it is going to be a rough year!

The plan right now is to do the 4th module (March - April) in Indiana so I can get a job back in the states and most importantly go to Stocketts wedding!!! :) They said you can't get in a job in Germany unless you are fluent in German and since I am not going to have time to learn German and do well in school, it looks like I will be home before you know it!! I will keep you posted on that, but so far that is the plan.
My resume is due in the first couple weeks of school, so the job hunt begins already! I know I am going to be very sad to leave here after being here for a year, but since I need a job I will have to go where that is!

I will try to write on here every couple of days, but no promises now that my vacation is over! :( 

2 comments:

  1. So you will be heading back to the states in March, not July? Do you have to go back to Germany for graduation or catch up work?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got more information at Orientation, so now my "plans" are all changed AGAIN! I can't go back to Purdue for the March term. We have a huge project during that module that we can't miss. I will be here in July for graduation. It doesn't look like with the schedule I will be able to study at Purdue at all. And it isn't encouraged for the American students to go back to Purdue since we have experienced the American schools, it is more for the international students that have never been.
    Still a lot up in the air- but hopefully I will know more soon.

    ReplyDelete