Monday, August 20, 2012

2 years and counting in the great land of Schnitzel’s

‘‘I can’t believe I am already 27, where has the time gone, I don’t feel any more ‘’along’’ then when I was at 25.‘’ After my birthday this was the thought that was in my head a lot and while we were hanging out with some of Todd’s friends this last weekend I found myself saying this to one of them. After the shocked and confused look left his face, he started rambling off things that I have done or that have happened in the last couple of years. This made me really reflect. For me, I feel like I am constantly just trying to keep up in life and not regret or miss anything, but while doing this I never really look back at accomplishments, lessons learned and everyday moments that have in their small way changed the rest of my life.


When I met Todd I never thought that this is where we would be today. In fact for the first year we knew each other I don’t really think I thought through a lot of things. For me this is a weird experience. I am someone who constantly wants to plan everything! I am not a very go with the flow person and even when I try to be, you better believe that I have almost every detail planned in my head (where to eat, how to get there, where I want to be in a few years… it is all in my head constantly stirring around!). I like to have all my I’s dotted and T’s crossed in my life. This is what I thought gave me security. Well that was all until I met Todd. For some reason I just trusted that things were going to work out how they are meant to and that I needed to just let go of the wheel. When I think about the fact that I just picked up and moved to Germany I still can’t understand what was going through my head. From an outsider’s perspective, everyone must have thought I was crazy! I sure would have! It was all such a sudden decision and maybe that was because I knew that if I thought about it too much I would end up holding myself back. I knew that this was the time and opportunity I needed to take. It was perfect, I had my own plan: school. It was only 11 months and if things didn’t work out both with Germany and Todd I would leave with an MBA from Purdue. Not too bad! I had to just go for it! I still remember calling my Dad to tell him first of all that I was going to get my masters and quit my job and second of all that I had decided on either a school in London or Hannover. My Dad is always supportive in everything but I could tell that he was very concerned! He asked all the right questions and really tried to get me to think about this decision without trying to discourage me. We talked about pro’s and con’s and a little about this new boy I was dating (Todd) which he knew (as all of the people close to me did) that Todd’s assignment to Germany was the event that got this ball rolling!

I had starting studying for the GMAT in March, took the GMAT in April and got my scores back just in time to complete my packet by the May deadline. I put in my resignation letter at work and in July I arrived in Germany with all my belongings (well my parents would say not all my belongings since there is a lot of furniture in their basement still!).

Well now it is a little over 2 years since I left the states. Todd and I have been able to travel all over Europe, grow individually and as a couple and overcome challenges that I never have been exposed to before. Don’t let me fool you; it has not always been roses. There have been many tears (especially in the first 6 months) when I was constantly thinking ‘oh shit, what did I do!’. Thinking back to when Todd dropped me off two weeks before school started in Hannover and I had to stay in this strange apartment in a city I had never been without knowing a word of German (except Scheisse and Schnitzel - which I didn’t think would be too useful trying to communicate with strangers) I am blessed that everything has worked out the way it has. I had traded in my iPhone, car and security for a pay as you go mini phone and a bike with a basket!

Through this experience, I have been able to become friends with people from all over the world and break through cultural barriers in both my personal and business relationships. I have been able to rely on Todd and really trust in him for so many things in my life. Being that he is the only person within 4.500 miles that is as close as family, we have had to support each other through some hard times. But there have also been so many great times. We have been able to be each other travel buddies, gelato companions and prosting confidants. I am thankful that I just let life happen and took this journey together with Todd because I can’t imagine my life any other way. I am glad that my new sense of security is not the comfort of being in a routine in a familiar place, but in the support I have from Todd, friends and family which I know is there no matter where I am physically located. This is where my comfort comes from now. It may have taken 4.500 miles to realize this and be able to trust that no matter where I am I would do anything for those close to me and it is an amazing feeling to know they would do the same. Realizing this will allow me to really just go where life takes me because I am not constricted to one place. I love the people in my life that have allowed me to do this and have supported me in every step of the way! I can’t thank you enough for pushing me and encouraging me to live life to the fullest!

I am so blessed! Prost to being 27 and for the many more adventures to come! :)

2 comments:

  1. Love you- you are so sweet . Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this Julie! I remember way-back-when to when I was a brand new 21 year old and made the decision to follow MitchMan to Italy. This reminds me of that. It has been a roller coaster ride and I have had a lot of "Oh shit, what have I done!?" moments along the way but I wouldn't trade it for anything. Sometimes following your heart and instincts may not seem the sanest decision at the time, but I think when you do, you end up experiencing a much fuller life. Even with all the ups and downs. As much as we like to think we can "plan" our way through, life is unpredictable. Go for it!! :)

    ReplyDelete